Sunday, September 29, 2019

Cough Syrup: The song of the decade?

Last night, I listened to Young the Giant's Cough Syrup for the first time in a while. The song elicited feelings of nostalgia (I listened frequently when I was in college) and, at one point, I had an epiphany: this song, written in 2011, foresaw much of the global and (at the, level of society) personal debacle of the decade that was to follow. The song speaks to the combination of political turmoil (precluding any guarantee of social longevity) and widespread addiction to (and fixation on) social media that have infected/bedeviled the American Millenial.

Life's too short for Cough Syrup now, oh oh. 
I'm losing my mind, losing my mind losing control oh oh, oh oh. 

Like the lead singer, we have increasingly lost focus in the past ten years, both in the literal and figurative senses. Our attention spans have diminished, to the length of 150 words or a two-minute video. Our reasoning capacities have shifted away from structured arguments (even if rooted in fallacies or personal biases) to snappy phrases and images that appeal to sensation rather than logic.


If I could find a way to see this straight, I'd run away
To some fortune that I, I should have found by now
I'm waiting for this cough syrup to come down, come down
And so I run to the things they said could restore me
Restore life the way it should be
I'm waiting for this cough syrup to come down
Bloody Marys under neon-lit Palm Trees. Beachside "vacays" or "staycays" tinted with a retro b-and-white "filter". Escapist fantasies, reified through a polished online presentation, become the "soma" (in Huxleyian terms) of the masses in an age of rising sea-levels and resurgent fascism. Not to mention the fact that many are literally drugged on opium. 
These zombies in the park they're looking for my heart oh oh oh 
A dark world aches for a splash of the sun oh oh

Repeat: resurgent fascism. Data theft. A mass state of conspiracy.
And so I run to the things they said could restore me
Restore life the way it should be
I'm waiting for this cough syrup to come down
Repeat: Escapism
One more spoon of cough syrup now whoa
One more spoon of cough syrup now whoa
   


No comments:

Post a Comment